Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Is Prometheus really an Alien prequel or not?


The hottest question of the summer is here.

What is ‘Prometheus’?

Is it really an ‘Alien’ prequel? Or is that just a marketing strategy to bring in nostalgic viewers that remember a time when science fiction could be engaging and scary at the same time?

Turns out, apparently it’s both.

While this has essentially been billed as the summer of the super hero thanks to new Spider Man and Batman movies – as well as the phenomenally successful Avengers flick -- other fans have been quietly biding their time until ‘Prometheus’ hit.

Directed by Ridley Scott, the secrets of the ‘Prometheus’ have been hard to uncover.

Some people swear it’s a prequel to Sigourney Weaver’s ‘Alien.’ Others say it’s not. So, what’s the truth?

Honestly, I have no idea. I’ve tried to remain spoiler free when it comes to this movie. Quality alien movies are hard to come by these days – so I don’t want to ruin the suspense factor for ‘Prometheus.’

That being said, I have read a few reviews (all positive so far). The Entertainment Weekly review, for example, seems to hint that it is an ‘Alien’ prequel. Whether that’s true or not, I guess I’ll have to wait and see at the midnight showing Thursday night.

Essentially, at its core, ‘Prometheus’ is an adventure movie. It involves a group of scientists, led by Noomi Rapace and Logan Marshall-Green (I’m glad somebody finally discovered what a cool actor he is and cast him in something).

The scientists find a map of sorts that seems to point to a spot in the universe where “life” began.
According to the Entertainment Weekly review, the topic of religion is largely ignored in the film. My guess would be that the filmmakers are trying not to offend anyone. Whenever you deal with the origins of society, some people get a little touchy.

Rounding out the cast are Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce, Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. With how grand the cast is, I can’t help but have high hopes for the film.

Will it matter to me if ‘Prometheus’ isn’t an ‘Alien’ prequel? That depends really.

If ‘Prometheus’ is a movie that can stand up on its own and keep me entertained – and the trailers look promising – I don’t care if the movie is tied to ‘Alien’ or not.

If it’s just a cheap gimmick, though, I’ll probably be ticked that it's not an 'Alien' movie -- because that at least would be something.

I’ll tell you Friday how things go at the midnight showing -- because until 'The Hobbit' comes out this winter this is the last movie I'm truly excited for this year.

What do you think? Is ‘Prometheus’ going to enchant movie audiences?

Click here for the best alien movies of all time.

Click here for the worst alien movies of all time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home