Saturday, January 12, 2013

What are the biggest movies coming to theaters this year?



This year’s movie offerings are pretty exciting – even if I do say so myself.

‘Star Trek’ returns to the big screen with ‘Into Darkness’ – and while the story has been shrouded in mystery, it appears to involve both Khan and Carol Marcus.

Super heroes return in the form of ‘Superman,’ ‘Thor,’ and ‘Iron Man’ – although not all in the same movie, this time.

The second leg of ‘The Hunger Games’ hits theaters this fall and the middle arc of ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy is also expected to entertain this Christmas.

So what are the biggest movies of the year?

The Last Stand: Arnold Schwarzenegger tries to carry a movie on his own for the first time in a decade. It looks like Schwarzenegger is trying to balance comedy and action – and that’s the genre where’s he’s had the most success in recent years. Jan. 18

Broken City: I generally hate Mark Wahlberg (except for Ted) and I have never been a fan of Russell Crowe, so I’m really not interested in this flick. Still, they both have their fans. Jan. 18

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters: Jeremy Renner is a current fave of mine, so I’ll probably give this one a chance (even though the trailer is fairly painful to watch). This looks pretty cheesy, even by my standards.  Jan. 25

Parker: I have a weird thing for Jason Statham and a strong dislike for Jennifer Lopez. I think the dislike factor will probably win out for me. Jan. 25

Warm Bodies: I’ve seen this trailer about three times in theaters – and each time it got a laugh. Still, I’m not sure how I feel about zombies evolving into thinking beings. John Malkovich is always awesome, though. I’ll at least give it a shot. Feb. 1

Bullet to the Head: Earlier this year I gave Sylvester Stallone accolades for fighting the urge to go shirtless in ‘The Expendables 2.’ He’s still got a great body, don’t get me wrong, but the sagging skin freaks me out (even when they airbrush it in pictures). This trailer shows him shirtless several times – so I retract my earlier accolades. Still Sung Kang is always entertaining – although this movie has dud written all over it. Feb. 1

Side Effects: Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Rooney Mara and Catherine Zeta-Jones. It’s an interesting group.  Feb. 8

Identity Theft: Jason Bateman is always funny. So is Melissa McCarthy. I probably won’t see this one in theaters, but I’ll rent it. Feb. 8

A Good Day to Die Hard: Bruce Willis is still sexy. This time, John McClaine is teaming up with his son. It couldn’t possibly be worse than the last one. Feb. 14

Snitch: Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is solving some injustice. Feb. 22

Dark Skies: Aliens and Keri Russell. Feb. 22

Oz: The Great and Powerful: James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz bring new life to an old story. The cast is worth checking it out alone – and the trailers are pretty interesting. March 8

G.I. Joe: Retaliation: Channing Tatum may be the current “it” boy, but the first one of these was really bad. March 29

The Host: The author of ‘Twilight’ sucks at something else. Saiorse Ronan stars. March 29

Jurassic Park 3D: This is just a re-release of the original – and the 3D is getting old (again). April 5

The Evil Dead: In general, I hate horror movie remakes. That being said, this looks pretty freaky in the trailer. April 12

Oblivion: Further proof Tom Cruise needs to let the action star genre go. April 19

The Big Wedding: You can’t argue with the cast in this. Robin Williams, Robert DeNiro, Diane Keaton, Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl, Topher Grace and Amanda Seyfriend. Let’s hope the material lives up to the talent.

Iron Man 3: This should be the first big blockbuster of the summer. The Iron Man franchise has been solid so far. I don’t expect this to slide. May 3

The Great Gatsby: May seems like a weird time to release this movie. I would have figured it for a December release. Still, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Carey Mulligan star. Sounds pretty good. May 10

Star Trek: Into Darkness: I literally got chills when I saw this trailer before ‘The Hobbit.’ This is the movie I’m looking forward to the most this  year. Rumor has it, someone big dies.  May 17

Fast and Furious 6: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and The Rock unite for more high octane mayhem. Michelle Rodriguez finds her character resurrected from the dead for a return, too. I have to admit, these films are a guilty pleasure for me. May 24

The Hangover: Part III: I find these movies hugely overrated. May 24

After Earth: Will Smith stars with his son, Jaden, in what looked like a laughably bad movie when I saw the trailer. June 7

Man of Steel: I saw this trailer before ‘The Hobbit,’ too, and I couldn’t believe how dry and boring it was. There was nothing fun about it. If this movie is worse than the last one, the Superman franchise could be in a lot of trouble. June 14

World War Z: One of the best books I’ve read in the last few months. Matthew Fox and Brad Pitt star – and I’m pretty excited to see this on the big screen. June 21

Kick Ass 2: The first one was really enjoyable. June 28

White House Down: Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx and Maggie Gyllenhaal star in what is bound to be a ridiculous action thriller. June 28

Lone Ranger: This looks awful. I don’t think Johnny Depp fans will be enough to save it. July 3

Grown Ups 2: Really? Didn’t we say all we needed to in the first one? July 12

Pacific Rim: This looks high concept, but the trailer was awful. This could be this year’s ‘Battleship.’ July 12

R.I.P.D.: My early vote for future cult classic goes to this flick. Jeff Bridges as an undead cop? Just kooky enough to work. July 19

The Wolverine: The last ‘Wolverine’ movie was awful – but Jackson is hot no matter what. July 26

The Smurfs 2: Why did they make this? July 31

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters: It doesn’t bode well that they’re dumping this in August. Aug. 16

Riddick: Vin Diesel returns as the surly alien. Sept. 6

I, Frankenstein: Another entry in the cult classic market. Sept. 13

Rush: Chris Hemsworth stars as a race car drive. I think I’ll stick to ‘Thor.’ Sept. 20

Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones: The worst ‘Star Wars’ movie of all time hits theaters in 3D. Sept. 20

The Tomb: Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger join forces – again. Sept. 27

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For: This sequel was a long time in the making. Let’s hope it doesn’t disappoint. Oct. 4

The World’s End: Simon Pegg and Nick Frost star as . . . Yeah, you had me at Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Oct. 25

Thor: The Dark Worlds: The flaxen hero is back – and jumping dimensions this time. Nov. 8

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is actually my favorite of the three books so I’m expecting a lot from the movie. Nov. 22
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Loved the first one. Even if I hated it, I’d still be here for the midnight showing. Dec. 13

Anchorman: The Legend Continues: People have been waiting a long time for this. Dec. 20

Jack Ryan: I haven’t liked any of the previous films featuring Jack Ryan – but I love Chris Pine. Also starring Keira Knightley and Kevin Costner. Dec. 25

What do you think? What movie are you looking forward to the most?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home